Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Making Baby Food: Butternut Squash

I Love Fall!


 I love butternut squash fresh from our garden...so does my 1 year old:)
Step 1: Cut squash in half and lay cut side down on a baking sheet. 
Add water to the pan to keep the squash moist while it bakes and check the water level midway through baking.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get that stuff off my pan?
Eew! No matter how hard I scrub it stays the same.

 Step 2: Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until squash is soft.

 Step 3: Let it cool and then scoop out the flesh.
Be careful not to get too close to the skin(that's where all the strings are)
and put it in a food processor.

I use the Magic Bullet and it works so great for making baby food.

Step 4: Puree until smooth.
Add water or juice to get it to the consistency that you want
(Thinner for younger babies, thicker for older ones). 

Step 5: Spoon into an ice cube tray and freeze over night,
then transfer to a labeled freezer bag.

When baby is ready to eat, pull out a few cubes and defrost!
Isn't that color yummy? 

Serving idea: Heat up a few cubes and toss with some whole wheat pasta
and some shredded zucchini.
Healthy and delicious!


I am linking up with some of these lovely blog parties:)

6 comments:

Chanda Wilkin said...

My daughter LOVES squash!
I'm a new follower from the thrilling thurs. linky. would love to have you follow me back :)
http://mommaneedsablog.blogspot.com/

Macey at Olivia Renn said...

Makes me want to make my own baby food! Thanks for linking up over at Olivia Renn. Hope to see you again next Wednesday.

Rhiannon said...

oh i love homemade baby food! i made it for my son too, he hardly ever at store bought food. Butternut squash was his FAVE!!
Glad to have found you on EBTKS!

Alex said...

homemade baby food is the best, I haven't tried butternut squash yet though. thanks for the instructions!
found you on EBTKS by the way.

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Great idea to put it in the ice cube trays! Thanks for sharing on Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions. Hope you stop by again soon :)

~Lori S.

Miranda said...

When Brenna was a baby, at one point her favorites were butternut squash (i peel mine with a potato peeler, btw), peaches and carrots. I am not kidding, she turned ORANGE! her nose, the bottoms of her hands and feet, ORANGE! we had our very own oompa loompa for a while :)

The most important thing she’d learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one."
~Jill Churchill