Saturday, March 21, 2009

2 Guinea Pigs and a Funeral

Friday I went to my Grandpas memorial service; it was in Citrus Heights at 10 in the morning. I really didn't want to deal with packing and staying the night so Brook and I got up at 6am and drove straight to the funeral home. The room was packed and the service was filled with more laughter and joy than it was tears. We were there to celebrate Grandpas life and all that he passed on to his 7 children and his numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

There was a great slide show of his life and many wonderful stories and memories shared. There was a picture of him sitting in a canoe filled with water and I was leaning over him; I was probably about Brooklyn's age. I remember he would send me to get him a beer or get the hose to add more water for him.

My Grandpa's name is Richard and the funeral director kept calling him Dick. My sisters and I found that pretty funny because I have never heard him called that. I think one of my uncles corrected him because half way through the service he started referring to him as Richard.

As the service came to a close they asked if anyone had anything to share. Fish shared a story and then I shared about a time when I was about three and went to give Grandpa a kiss and he stuck his dentures out at me. I cried and wouldn't kiss him for months:)

Another time he was getting a drink from what he called his "slop jar" which was just a jar of water he kept in the fridge so it would be really cold, and I was begging for a drink. Next thing I know the whole thing is being poured over my head!

After the service we went to Grandpa's house to have lunch and hang out. I was feeding my nephew Gilbert a bottle and I looked out at all the kids playing in the grass and saw what I thought was a small Pomeranian but was actually a long haired Guinea Pig. There was another one with not so long hair and Brooklyn was having so much fun playing with them. My uncle asked if I wanted them and I said Yes but that I would have to check with Jon first.

I called Jon and this was our conversation:

Jon: Hello.
Me: Is it cool if I bring home 2 Guinea Pigs and a cage?
Jon: Sure.
Me: Love you, Bye.

So random. Go to a funeral and come home with 2 Guinea Pigs.

9 comments:

Amy Dubois said...

I'm so glad you guys had a good time. What a way to celebrate life! Can't wait to meet the new additions!!

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

There names are Patches and Chippy. I would have posted pictures of them but my computer is being fussy right now.

Jenney said...

I love the conversation between you and Jon. Awesome husband.

Robin Lawson said...

Great blog. You guys are really creating a fun farm (zoo?) experience. :)

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

I would hardly call 2 Guinea pigs, 2 goats and a dog a farm:) I am working on it though.....baby chicks coming soon!

Sarah said...

What great memories of your Grandpa! Sounds like he was a fun guy! Hope Brooklyn enjoys the Guinea pigs! Post pics when you can!

Rachael said...

You have goats? Your so weird Amy, I love it!!

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

Once you see where we live it will make sense to you Rachael:)

Anonymous said...

Awe. I just saw this. I think back on Grandpa's funeral and I just smile. Is that weird?

The most important thing she’d learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one."
~Jill Churchill